November 27, 2006

Tom Waits


Man, I love Tom Waits.

There's an interview with him on Pitchfork today, and its really good. I've always been interested in sounds, and if you listen to Tom Waits, I'm sure you know that he is too. Apparently his favorite sound is bacon:

[quote]
"In a frying pan. If you record the sound of bacon in a frying pan and play it back it sounds like the pops and cracks on an old 33 1/3 recording. Almost exactly like that. You could substitute it for that sound."
[/quote]

His perspective on his personal mythology is always something I've loved too. As you read interviews with him over the years, and from different places in his career, he will tell outragious stories. Some are so bizarre that they can't be true, and some are just weird enough that they could be, but after a while, you begin to accept that there is little you can really know about the person he really is if all you rely on is what he tells you.

[quote]
"The fact is most of the things that people know about me are made up. My own life is backstage. So what you "know" about me only what I allowed you to know about me. So it's like a ventriloquist act."
[/quote]

His new album Orphans was released last week.
You Can Never Hold Back Spring (mp3) (LINK REMOVED)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home