July 05, 2006

Superman Returns


Laura and I saw Superman Returns last night.

All in all, it was really good. Not having seen all of the Christopher Reeve movies (I'm sure I saw one or two of them when I was little) I didn't have much context for a few things, like the fact that Lois and Superman had slept together. Well, they did, and Lois had his child. A kid who is apparently allergic to a lot of shit, but ends up proving who his father is when he throws a piano at a bad guy to save his mom.

Kevin Spacy was a great Lex Luthor, and Parker Posey was great as Kitty Kowalski. They were my two favorite actors to watch for the whole thing. Not that Kate Bosworth was a bad Lois Lane or anything, but I just didn't find her that remarkable. Brandon Routh was pretty good. Laura thinks he's cute. I think that he looked like they really did him up for the whole movie. He seemed really forced into the close he was wearing as Clark Kent. As Superman, its forgiveable.

Superman is a bit of an exaggeration to begin with, so when his face looks perfect to the point that when he's flying you can't tell if its him on a green screen or if its entirely CG, its okay. His costume is silly, naturally - he's in tights. He wasn't amazing either, but he was good.

While I enjoyed it quite a bit, it didn't give me the chills that the teaser trailer did. I mean, seriously, watch this shit and try not to get goosebumps:


Was it the best thing I've ever seen? No, but I'm really glad I went to see it. It was a lot of fun, and I'm very happy that they're reviving the most popular superhero of all time.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home