July 24, 2006

The U.S. vs John Lennon


I have mixed feelings about this. Not that I don't want to see it, or that I don't think what its saying (drawing certain parallels between Vietnam and our situation today and between Nixon and Bush, as well as presenting a portrait of John Lennon, whom I think was a wonderful musician as well as a wonderful public figure) is nessisarily illegitimate. I have mixed feelings in that it makes me excited to see it, and to hear his music, and to (frankly) learn more about this man that I have some admiration for, but it also scares me.

The classic saying that they repeat in the trailer is that "those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" and in some ways that is sadly and scarily true. It applies to us today, and that makes me sad, scared and uncomfortable.

Maybe that's good, complacence is death, and we shouldn't get complacent. I certainly don't want to. We have a long way to go, and maybe that's what we need to know. Maybe this is a reminder.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home